Indian Names For Boys
[Hinđū, Buđđhist, Sikh, Jain, ...]
A typical Indian tries to chose a great name for his/her kid. In the process s/he generally chooses a word which has a meaning in Hinđī (or some other Indian language). People even choose verbs, adjectives etc!
We have only included/listed those words which are mostly used to represent names only!!!
We have not included -
- adjectives and verbs
- those words which generally indicate THINGS such as 'Sameer' or 'Pavan' both of which mean 'air'.
- long and difficult to pronounce names, people do ask kids their names and then sometimes idiots may try to pun on it.
- those words which after naively transliterating gives different meaning e.g. Bharaŧ (भरत) is one good name but as भारत (India) is also generally transliterated as Bharaŧ and not as Bhāraŧ.
We also tried not to include -
- very very common names, You don't need to read to settel for such names such as Ramesh, Suresh... I particularly don't like those names which ends in 'esh' (sadly my name do)
- names with retroflex consonants (ण, ड़, ढ़). South-Asians can pronounce these consonants correctly but others can't. So I have not included : कुणाल (Kuṇāl), करण (Karaṇ), प्रणित (Praṇiŧ).
- popular names of deities such as Rām, Kṛiṣhṇa, Viṣhṇu, Đurgạ
- names which people genereally relate to a religion! oh you might have wanted Hinđū, Bhuđđisŧ names! We may compile additional lists for few religions in future.
Dropped sooo many names :-(
But don't think that these are very rare names, we have not worked hard to compile this list, yet.
Still we don't promise anything; use any of these word at your own risk ;-)
Oh one last thing - just don't copy above rules (that we wrote after so much of trials) and following names. Instead link to this page, or recommend it to your friends, will you!